I jumped into blogging with both feet first sometime back in November. Literally. I didn’t do any research, I didn’t even check out any other blogs. I just decided one evening that I was finally going to start a blog, so signed up to WordPress, picked a theme that looked ok and off I went. I didn’t mind that my blog looked like a shell of a blog, at first. But the more you get into it, the more you want to be able to be proud of the aesthetics as well as the content. So over the holidays I finally got round to making it look a bit more pretty, and a bit more user-friendly. It’s not what id call all singing and dancing, but it’s probably the best its going to get without a budget. So that’s the blog cracked. For now. But what good is a blog without very many readers? Of course I am hugely, hugely grateful for the readers I already have, and actually a little surprised that I have readers that are so interested in what im writing. I blog for the love of it. It will never be about the numbers. But I do blog in the hope that people will want to read what im writing, as im sure most bloggers do.
I stumbled on an article of blogging resolutions for 2014 when I was on Pinterest over the holidays, and although im not really into setting new years resolutions, I realised that this is just what My Petit Canard needs if im really going to the blog off the ground properly. So here’s my six blogging new years resolutions for 2014:
1. Buy my own domain name – I love blogging and I really want to make the blog look and feel a bit more professional. So the blog has had a bit of a revamp over the holidays, an email account has been set up and buying the domain name will be the icing on the cake. I also quite like the idea of business cards, but I think I’ll take it one step at a time!
2. Check out the blog analytics for My Petit Canard and understand what they mean – what days are the best days to post on, what do people like to read and anything else I can glean from those clever little stats that WordPress rustles up at the click of a button!
3. Learn the basics of SEO – not something that I’m particularly excited about but it does seem rather important in helping get the blog posts out there. Yawn.
4. Commit to a realistic blogging schedule – an ad hoc basis twice a week has worked pretty well for me so far, but Id like to step this up a gear if I can without making it start to feel like work.
5. Write a guest post for another blogger – not really sure about how to approach this one, but hopefully I’ll figure it out at some point throughout the year (any invites?).
6. Seek out guest posts for My Petit Canard – I really need to have a think about who, what and why I would have someone guest post on the blog. I have already come across loads of fabulous bloggers so I don’t think it will be too hard picking some. I would just hope that they would want to!
So there you have it, my blogging resolutions for 2014!
Are you setting any blogging new years resolutions or goals for 2014? If so I’d love to hear what they are. Similarly if you have any tips, or if you can help me achieve any of my resolutions then please get in touch!